The Sun Valley Institute is proud to host its annual event, the Sun Valley Forum. Please click here to go our website. A brief description of who we are and what, why, and how we do it is below.
The Sun Valley Institute (SVI) is a catalyst for lasting quality of place, advancing economic, ecological and social resilience by pioneering transformative solutions, driving awareness and convening leaders and innovators for global and local impact.
Leaders in the Wood River Valley of Idaho founded the Sun Valley Institute in the spring of 2015 to ensure the prosperity of this special place for future generations of residents and visitors alike, and to serve as a resource for vulnerable communities everywhere. The Institute addresses local risks and turns them into opportunities, piloting innovative policies, investment models, and community building, as well as is a resource, convening global leaders to grow resilience far beyond our home, a think- and do-tank for our changing world.
Around the world, environmental shifts and economic interdependence as well as social and political upheavals call for proactive leadership to build resilient communities, companies, nations and economies. We see this acutely in the Sun Valley area, where fires, drought, snowfall irregularity, power outages and income inequality challenge our economy and quality of life.
Resilience requires a willingness to be forward thinking: addressing these risks—including from energy insecurity, water scarcity, food availability and costs, and weather- related disasters—and by investing in greater resilience are key to preserving quality of life.
- Strengthen quality of place in the local community; and
- Serve as a resource for other vulnerable communities around the world by developing case studies to enable sharing of successes and learnings.
To meet these objectives, the Sun Valley Institute is undertaking:
- Policy Engagement: Putting into place resilience best practices for policy-makers (local, state, and national);
- Public Education: Providing resources for citizens, businesses and visitors;
- Research: Generating original as well as gathering existing research to serve as a base for resilience information;
- Events: Hosting speakers and conferences; and
- Investment: Curating nonprofit and for-profit investments to support resilience.
Through local innovations and leadership, by gathering best practices, and by convening and collaborating, the Institute builds resilience locally and globally. You may also learn more at www.sunvalleyinstitute.org.